Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Little Update on Me.....

        I was sitting here on the computer, going through my facebook account and various other email accounts thinking about where I am in my life right now, and I remembered that I hadn't posted in awhile. I think that one of the things that I don't do nearly enough on this blog is update on my life. I get so caught up in my thoughts and the music running through my mind at whatever present moment that I don't let you all in on what I've been up to.
        Maybe I should start but just updating on a few major parts of my life.

School
        As most of you know I left my dear Corban last spring with the intention to return as soon as I could afford it. As most things happen in life, though, our plans do not always coincide with what God has planned.  The more I pray about it as time goes on, I do not believe God is leading me back to Corban.  (At least not anytime soon.) I really and truly believe that I went to Corban for a reason. I learned a lot spiritually, gained more valuable friendships than I could ever have imagined, and grew to love the person God is making me to be for who He made me to be - not by man's standards. (granted this is a process that will have to be constantly worked on but it got its start right there in good ol' Aagard [my dorm while I lived there].
        Well, I took the fall semester off school completely and just worked. During this break I spent a lot of time praying about where God was leading me, if I still wanted to pursue my medical dreams, where He wanted to me to live, etc.  I came to this conclusion: I am not going to pursue medicine as a career. This lead me to a new question: what do I do instead? The more I prayed the more I wondered. I had no idea. That's when mom and I got talking about how much I loved my college writing classes, specifically editing papers and going over all the grammar and specifics that goes into that. Shortly after that, a good friend of mine had me edit chapters of a novel she was writing.  I was happy to and the more I got into it the more I realized I loved it. I continued praying and after all of this I decided something. I wanted to change my major. I would no longer be a pre-med major but now would be an English Literature major. I hope to someday go into editing literature - not magazines or newspapers.
        So, right now I'm going to Spokane Falls Community College and getting my general ed requirements taken care of. When I'm done with those I'm hoping to transfer to WWU or EWU to complete my English Lit degree.

Home Life
        I live with one of my best friends, Anna. We've known each other since birth and grew up in the same church. It's been great living in our lovely little duplex, we've lived there since Sept.
        ALSO! I have acquired two lovely little members to my family. My betta fish, Yoda and my kitty, Pippin. =] Yoda has been with me for a little over a year and Pippin for about two months. I love them so much and I'm happy I finally have pets since I never really did growing up.

Boys
        hehe jk! you don't get to know that :D

Church Life
        I am so happy that God has placed me where He has! When I first started going to Spokane First Assembly (since about.... july last year...give or take) I was hesitant to really get plugged in even though I wanted to get plugged in to a church somewhere because I didn't know anyone, this church was different than I was used to, I wanted to find a church like the one I attended in Salem (Oasis Community), it was too big, the list went on. But the longer I attended, the more I prayed about it, the less I wanted to go to a different church.  Now that I've been going for awhile I've been wanting to get involved in a college-age bible study or something to that effect but nothing was really there for a long time. Now, finally, I have been able to find one! In the bulletin at church I saw an announcement about a college-age focused worship service called "Awaken." It takes place at my church every last sunday of the month.  It was completely out of my comfort zone to go since I knew I would have to go alone but I decided it might be worth it if there was the chance I'd meet people my own age.  When I went, I was so excited about it! Not only did I meet a couple people I learned of a college-age bible study that would be taking place every Sunday between when "Awaken" would take place. It took my two weeks to get up the nerve but this past Sunday I decided to take the plunge out of my comfort zone once again. It would be worth it if it meant I could not only meet new people and finally feel plugged in and included at church but get back into fully nourishing my spiritual walk and challenging myself and helping myself to grow.
        When I went to the bible study, I took Anna so that I would have someone with me and not feel so alone in it - there is more confidence when you are not alone. Let me jsut say: I AM SO HAPPY I WENT! We are going through Ecclesiastes in a 4-part series based on the theme "The Fear of God," and it was on chapters 5-8 this time (like I said, it took me two weeks so this was their third meeting). It was such a blessing to be able to be apart of a bible study again. Afterwards, I had the opportunity to stay and chat with a few of the others - we ended up all staying and chatting for 45 min! I am so looking forward to next weeks study! God is so good! <3


Well, I think that is all I'm going to say tonight. I'll leave you with a little encouragement:
 
"For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are,  that no flesh should glory in His presence.  But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption— that, as it is written, “He who glories, let him glory in the LORD.” ~ 1 Corinthians 1:26-31

No comments:

Post a Comment